Stanford EXPLORE: A Lecture Series on Biomedical Research For High School Students
The Stanford Explore Lecture Series is an exploratory series covering the basic fundamentals and current research areas represented by the various research areas of the Stanford School of Medicine (Immunology, Neuroscience, Cardiovascular Medicine, Regenerative and Stem Cell Medicine, Cancer Biology, Bioengineering, Bioinformatics and Genetics). The lectures will be taught by Stanford Faculty, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
Although the main focus of the series is attending lectures similar to what students will be exposed to in college, students will also have opportunities to experience several hands-on demonstrations and simulation labs at Stanford. Furthermore, there will be opportunities to participate in lunch discussions with college, graduate school and medical school students to learn about the application process as well as to learn about what their experiences have been like. Students will be provided with a notebook, pen, bag and a course reader for optional background reading. No homework assignments will be given. The schedule is 9am-12pm daily including lunch that is provided). We encourage you to sign up for all 3 weeks but you may also sign up for just 1, 2 or 3 weeks. The online registration will open on MARCH 1, 2021.
- PROGRAM DATES FOR SUMMER 2021: July 12-30, 2021 (Monday through Friday)
- TIME: 9am-12pm daily (Pacific Standard Time)
- PLACE: Stanford University (School of Medicine); PLEASE NOTE: FOR SUMMER 2021 THE PROGRAM WILL BE A REMOTE PROGRAM DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC.
- ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Students must currently (at the time of registration) be in 9th-12th grade at the time of registration. Students must also be U.S. citizens or permanent residents with a green card living in the U.S.
- SUMMER 2021 PLANS:
- We are planning to have a virtual zoom program for the summer of 2021 for 3 weeks (July 12-July 30th, 2021; 9am-12pm).
- July 12-16 Immunology/Neuroscience
- July 19-23 Stem Cell/Cancer
- July 26-30 Bioinformatics/Bioengineering
- Registration will open on March 1st, 2021 on our website. More information including the fee amount will be provided at that time.