Stanford EXPLORE: A Lecture Series on Biomedical Research For High School Students
The Stanford Explore Lecture Series is an exploratory series covering the basic fundamentals and current research areas represented by the various research areas of the Stanford School of Medicine (Immunology, Neuroscience, Regenerative and Stem Cell Medicine, Cancer Biology, Bioengineering and Bioinformatics). The lectures will be taught by graduate students and postdoctoral fellows along with some lectures taught by Faculty.
The main focus of the series is attending lectures similar to what students will be exposed to in college. Besides learning about the basic fundamentals of each topic, students will also learn about some of the current research as well as current techniques and applications that are used. Furthermore, there will be opportunities to learn about the graduate and medical school education pathways from current students. No homework assignments will be given. The schedule is 9am-12pm daily via a zoom webinar format. For this year students need to sign up for all 3 weeks of the virtual course. The online registration will open on MARCH 1, 2022.
- PROGRAM DATES FOR SUMMER 2022: July 11-29, 2022 (Monday through Friday)
- TIME: 9am-12pm daily (Pacific Standard Time)
- PLACE: Stanford University (School of Medicine); PLEASE NOTE: FOR SUMMER 2022 THE PROGRAM WILL BE A VIRTUAL PROGRAM DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC.
- ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Students must currently be in 9th-12th grade at the time of registration. Students must also be U.S. citizens or permanent residents with a green card living in the U.S. Many of the lectures will be at a high level so we strongly encourage students to have sufficient preparation in the sciences demonstrated by mostly As and Bs in their science courses and taking at least one year of high school biology before the program.
- SUMMER 2022 PLANS:
- We are planning to have a virtual zoom program for the summer of 2022 for 3 weeks (July 11-July 29th, 2021; 9am-12pm PST).
- July 11-15 Immunology/Neuroscience
- July 18-22 Stem Cell/Cancer
- July 25-29 Bioinformatics/Bioengineering
- Registration opened on March 1st and is still open.