Stanford EXPLORE 2023: A Lecture Series on Biomedical Research For High School Students
The Stanford Explore Lecture Series is an exploratory series covering the basic fundamentals and current research areas represented by the various research areas of the Stanford School of Medicine (Immunology, Neuroscience, Regenerative and Stem Cell Medicine, Cancer Biology, Bioengineering and Bioinformatics). The lectures will be taught by graduate students and postdoctoral fellows along with some lectures taught by Faculty.
The main focus of the series is attending lectures similar to what students will be exposed to in college. Besides learning about the basic fundamentals of each topic, students will also learn about some of the current research as well as current techniques and applications that are used. Furthermore, there will be opportunities to learn about the graduate and medical school education pathways from current students. No homework assignments will be given. The schedule is 9am-12pm daily via a zoom webinar format for the lectures. There will be a couple breakout sessions each week via regular zoom. For this year students need to sign up for all 3 weeks of the virtual course. The online registration will open on MARCH 1, 2023.
- PROGRAM DATES FOR SUMMER 2023: July 10-28, 2023 (Monday through Friday)
- TIME: 9am-12pm daily (Pacific Standard Time) via zoom
- PLACE: Stanford University (School of Medicine); PLEASE NOTE: FOR SUMMER 2023, THE PROGRAM WILL BE A VIRTUAL PROGRAM DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC.
- ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Students must currently be in 9th-12th grade at the time of registration. Students must also be U.S. citizens or permanent residents with a green card currently living in the U.S. Many of the lectures will be at a high level so we strongly encourage students to have sufficient preparation in the sciences demonstrated by mostly As and Bs in their science courses and taking at least one year of high school biology before the program.
- SUMMER 2023 PLANS (PLEASE READ): We are planning to have a virtual zoom webinar program for the summer of 2023 for 3 weeks (July 10-July 28th, 2023; 9am-12pm PST). The zoom webinar format will be used for the lectures. Webinars do not allow for student video/audio so questions during lectures will be submitted through the Q &A feature on zoom. In addition to the lectures, there will also be a couple zoom breakout sessions each week using regular zoom. REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.
- TOPICS FOR EACH WEEK:
- July 10-14 Immunology/Neuroscience
- July 17-21 Stem Cell/Cancer
- July 24-28 Bioinformatics/Bioengineering
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR THE SUMMER 2023 PROGRAM.